Monday, February 11, 2013

Happy Birthday Jarena Lee

Jarena Lee was born on this day February 11th in the year 1783 in Cape May, New Jersey. Lee was the first woman authorized to preach by Richard Allen, founder of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. She became a traveling minister, traveling thousands of miles on foot to spread the gospel.


Here are the words Jarena Lee wrote about her call to the ministry:

"But to my utter surprise there seemed to sound a voice which I thought I distinctly heard, and most certainly understand, which said to me, "Go preach the Gospel!" I immediately replied aloud, "No one will believe me." Again I listened and again the voice seemed to say, "Preach the Gospel; I will put words in your mouth and will turn your enemies to become your friends."


No comments:

Post a Comment