Wednesday, October 17, 2012



My Dear Sisters:

I hope you are enjoying this beautiful weather and fully appreciating the wonders of God as you watch the leaves turn red, yellow, brown, purple, whatever, and then gently fall to the ground.

I want to take this time to remind each of you that October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. No doubt you have received many emails and other correspondences reminding you of this month's observance and urging you to get your mammogram.

Now some of you believe it could never happen to you. No one in your family has ever had the disease. Let me share a personal note with you. My mother lived to the ripe old age of 94; her mother and at least 2 of her mother's sisters lived to the age of 90 plus. My mother's sisters lived to the age of 80 plus. Not one of them was ever diagnosed with breast cancer. They were strong healthy women. On my paternal side, the women also lived to the mid 80's to 90's with no reported case of breast cancer. Longevity and good health were on our side.

Yet following my October 2005 mammogram I received a diagnosis of breast cancer. I was utterly shocked! You talk about denial! In my mind, that could not possibly be the case. But it was. While no one in my family, to our knowledge, had ever been diagnosed with breast cancer, I became the first. Now what if I had assumed that I did not need to have an annual mammogram because there was no reported cases of breast cancer in my family? I would have missed out on early detection and treatment, and would not be able to say that I am a 7 years survivor. To God be the Glory!!

My message to you dear sisters is simply this: get a mammogram, along with taking other preventative measures such as self breast examinations, good diet, etc. Be empowered to look after yourself as yo go forward in Christian mission.



Much Love,
Juanita Wills
SEDYPD Director

No comments:

Post a Comment