Saturday, December 1, 2012

FIRST SUNDAY OF ADVENT/WORLD AIDS DAY

Sunday, December 2, 2012 (World AIDS Day is December 1, 2012)

Advent, from the Latin word adventus ("coming"), is the liturgical season characterized by the expectant waiting and preparation. During this season, we celebrate Christ's coming into the world while expectantly waiting and preparing for his promised return. We are reminded that God is faithful, a fulfiller of promises made. We rejoice that God is Emmanuel, God with us, that God's presence among us brings light, joy, and hope even in our darkest situations. Perhaps this is why the consistent message given to humans during this season is "fear not" or "do not be afraid" (Matthew 1:20; Luke 1:12, 30) This is the message of the liturgical season and this the message to the Church as we observe World AIDS Day.

World AIDS Day, established on December 1, 1988 by the World Health Organization, is an opportunity for the church to combat the fear, prejudice, and discrimination that affect those living with HIV/AIDS. This is particularly significant for African American churches since the CDC reports that African Americans comprise 44% of all new HIV infections. By raising awareness of the global fight against HIV/AIDS, supporting those living with the virus, and commemorating those who have died, we show Christ's redeeming love and demonstrate that God is with ALL of us, thereby giving hope to those infected with a disease that is often viewed as hopeless and outside the presence of God.
___________________________________________

         Personal Prayer in the Midst of a Church Living with AIDS

There are brothers and sisters in my community who are in desperate need of healing-healing from the ravages of HIV and AIDS. We don't even know who some of them are.

Some of them are us. Walls of silence keep us apart. Many are fearful to speak the words HIV and AIDS.

O God bring us all to a truly safe place filled with compassion and understanding. Bring us all to the is place of safety that the Church may embody your spirit of protection and healing.

What part do I play?
Show me the way to make a difference.
Guide my hands to hold  the first hand.
Open my heart to give and receive the first hug.
Remind me that you have chosen me. I can help.

God, awaken your spirit within me.
The Spirit refreshes the soul with serenity.
Your Spirit embodies the heart with courage.
Your Spirit charts our right course with wisdom.

Help me break down the walls of separation within our community. Help me build bridges of
love and understanding. Help me sweep away the debris of the isms, phobias, broken
connections, and shattered hopes.

Prepare my heart to prepare your way, Encourage me to think the first thought, to make the first sound, to speak the first words. Help me to break the silence.

* From the African American Lectionary

No comments:

Post a Comment